Monday, May 14, 2007

RATL Race Summary for 5/12




Talk about an awesome CAT4 race! Ray, John, Jeff, Jason, Peter, Gary & I are getting ready. I wasn't going to race, but Jason's wife kindly offered to watch over my son if I wanted to race...oh, goody, I get to race. :-(
Before the race started; I was scoping around to see who was there so I could help John with the team strategy. I noticed that Darrin Kert from Stark was there, I went up to him and chatted for awhile about the race. He wanted to know...so, uh, how are your guys feeling? "Terrible, just terrible" I say laughing.
The race started pretty quick and at lap 3 I think, I saw Darren with another Stark guy making a move up the left side; I saw Gary up at the front and starting yelling at him to jump on Darren's wheel. Gary made the break (along with my buddy Noah from Summitt) that ended up staying away. During the race, John stayed on a GDIs (light blue kit on a colnago) wheels' who was real strong and kept trying to get away, Jeff, Peter and I rotated at the front blocking and Jason lived out in front setting tempo for much of the race it seemed. Ray (http://raysracingadventures.blogspot.com/) had an out of body experience by bridging up to the break (they had a 45 second gap I think). At the bell lap, the Colnago guy takes off hard again and I see that I'm closest guy to him, so I redline it to get on his wheel and and sit on him to keep him from opening up a gap and letting John get position to finish in the money & points. Gary ended up bringing home the victory in a dominating sprint, Ray came in 3rd, John E. finished in the money at 6th and I dragged across the line in 9th. Jason, Jeff and Peter gave all for the team effort....amazing!
Like Ray says, it's almost like you felt like a "pro" team the way we worked together.
The stats are:
50:15
19.6 miles
HR - 152 avg, 170 max
Speed - 23.4 avg, 32.7 max
CAD - 100 avg, 130 max
Watts - 343 avg, 1220(?) max

The one really bad thing that happened was a ugly wreck in the CAT 3 race. I hope the guys are OK.

Thanks for reading,
Rick

1 comment:

Donny Frey said...

It's so cool that SBR is working together as a team. That was a great day for SBR and a strong move by Gary to get the win.

After reading all the race reports from John, Ray, and you, it's making me hungry to get out there and turn the wheels in anger. It's to bad I don't have the time nor the legs help you guys. Then again there's always cyclocross season. :-)

Donny

PS - In the Gary photo, Noah is looking lean and mean.