Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Chip Race

Well, I haven't blogged since the RATL race where everything went SBR's way. Why? Cause I got sick as a dog on Sunday and have felt like crap since then. I wanted to try to help in any way with the race knowing for the that I wouldn't be able to finish the race and still go to a conference later that day. Ray, John, Gary, Peter, Jason, Peter, Jeff & I were there at the start and things seemed pretty good. I worked the first lap hard and went off the front on the downhill to stretch things out. Jason followed me, came around and then was seeing if I was going to come around him to attack the climb. Jeese, I knew I was already in trouble and just tried to set tempo up the climb. Ray came around and set tempo as everyone settled in. The second lap in the rollers found me drifting to the back and trying to recover and stay on. I didn't and got gapped; I made up most of the gap on the downhill and could have/should have buried myself to bridge on the climb when I figured that I didn't want to....getting worse off health wise didn't appeal to me nor did trying to go to 3 days of meetings already sick. So, for the first time, I DNF'd. No excuses, maybe I shouldn't have raced at all.
John has more details for the rest of the race....and a more positive spin on it.
The team lost some other guys that race also. The team worked as hard as they could; in the end Ray got 3rd, John 6th and Peter & Gary finished with the field. Good results, but I wasn't happy about DNF'ing and not helping enough.
Stats:
22:22.2
8.1 miles
HR - 163 avg, 174 max
speed - 21.6 avg, 43.9 max
CAD - 99 avg, 139 max
Watts - 298 avg, 954 max
starting temp, 58, ending 56'F

Hopefully I'll get over this soon and get back on it.

Thanks for reading,
Rick

No comments: