Thursday, August 7, 2008

Westlake Worlds A Group

Yes, Jimmy, we know you are racing B Group and are on the team......
:-)


Another Tuesday, another round of the "worlds". B's consisted of Jason R. JV. David K, Jimmy N and Matt T. A's consisted of David S, Tom "Killer" K and I. Gary B had dead legs from his Sunday double of the "super sprint tri" and Zoar race. He agreed to use my NIKON D40X to record the event. I wasn't feeling great; lingering stomach issues from Mexico and with last weeks cramping fresh in my mind.....

Plenty of Lake Effect & Spin riders out with some Team Columbus (the Death Ray) & RGF guys, Brett D was representing Solon "solo".....looked like Spin and Lake Effect would be able to control the race. The Paul M train was not there.

Unlike "Zipp Night" where everyone had the same advantage; I had been by Bike Authority and had asked if I could try out the Demo 404 tubular that they had; Sherman said np; if I break em, I bought them! :-) (I'm going to do a short review separately)

I can tell that David is wondering what the heck I'm doing on the front working to bring the early break back....

The race started and I felt pretty good; many attacks went and were brought back, I took some pulls, was able to go back and recover and move around the field; I was concerned about cramping the last 5 laps so took it conservatively due to finishing with the group was my primary concern. Once it looked like I was going to able to finish w/o cramps (2 to go) I started thinking of ways to help Tom and/or getting into decent position if there was going to be a group sprint. I had targeted a couple of people that I wanted to finish with or ahead of and was able to move up and even in the mess of the group sprint, I was able to position myself and finish close to Tom K.
I've got a ton of improvement to do, but I'm glad that I have moved up to the A's.
Unfortunately, I had forgotten to change my Polar to accommodate for the fact I was running 20cm tubies instead of the 23s that I usually run. So my spd numbers are not accurate:
25.9 avg/36.9 max
277 avg/833 max watts
151 avg/ 167 max hr

Congrats to Jason & JV in the Bs for the 2-1 finish.

Tom K got a cash prime and finished just out of the money at the end & David was off the front, worked his a$$ off and finished in the field.

Hopefully I'll improve more during next weeks' worlds.

Thanks for taking the pictures, Gary...they are here.

Ciao,
Rick

No comments: