Tuesday, December 4, 2007

BA 'cross at Copley #1






"Forgive me father for I have sinned, for I had not ridden my bike or trained for over a week".....let's just say that I paid in spades for committing those sins at the race. Gary gives a great description of the mud feast so I'll cut right to the chase on this.

I knew this was going to hurt and hurt bad, but I figured that I was going to take my medicine like a man and grunt this one out. Gary & I started close to each other and I actually got a pretty good start and when Gary came up to me and said we need to get on the lead group, I was like "no duh, dude, I'm trying"....actually he rode a fantastic race and I wish I could have hung right with him. We would have had a good time practicing some "team tactics" but my whole mind set was going to be get in a decent position and hang on for dear life. This is not a good course layout for me, it really showcases a "power type of rider" and after a week off I didn't have any zip in the legs. Maybe I shouldn't have gone on that 1hr plus ride on Saturday with Gary & Satan? Nah, I don't think that helped/hurt me.
So I maintain position and keep Gary in sight but can't close up to him and didn't realize that he was on Eddie and trying to help me out. Damn. So I'm going through a slow death and Julie comes up and I figure that this could be a good thing so she and I go back-n-forth for awhile trading positions, trying to put the hurt on each other, and at the little section of single track heading back up to the start finish before going on the muddy windy section she opens up a gap that I have no answer for. So the rest of the race becomes a time trial and trying to keep the number 3 & 4 place masters guys off of me so that at least I can keep my 2nd overall. The good news is I didn't fall, have any mechanicals and was able to fight off Mikes to keep things status quo.
Not what I wanted, but was glad I only lost two "overall B group" positions where I normally finish. Big congrats to Gary & Julie for a great race and hopefully I can be in the thick of it this weekend.

Big, Big thanks for Donny coming out, shooting photos, doing more cow bell, horn and yelling for me and the team....thanks Brent Evans for yelling "go surfer boy" at every lap....SBR team really supports each other during these 'cross races and it's really cool and helps.

No stats on this one.....too demoralizing to read.

Thanks for reading,
Rick

2 comments:

Me said...

r u the Rick Adams from UU.net?

Rick said...

not that i know of.....maybe an evil twin?
:-)