Sunday, April 12, 2009

Today's ride on the Ellsworth Evolve






I met up with three guys EARLY this morning and headed up to Vail Park to get in some riding before the other guys had to get home for family commitments. Yeah and I actually wore my baggy bike shorts...I'm sure many of you would be surprised that I actually own a pair!

I have never ridden a 29er before, let along a 4" travel full suspension one. We ended up riding for 2:40 and climbed (ok, some hike-n-bike) 1920'. The trails here do not have any logs to worry about but plenty of sand & rocks....that and a long fall down off of the ridge line!

I was surprised to not feel a big difference in handling of the 29er Evolve. In fact it seemed to take all my bad lines in stride and make for an enjoyable experience. I can tell you it climbs really well and descends even better. The other three guys had gone down a steep decent and yelled up to me to stay left....what do I do? Take the right line and had visions of a huge endo....the Evolve took it in stride and had the guys laughing that the bike had more skilz than me. No doubt.

My friend Jeff just rode it and couldn't stop talking about how much better it felt. Uh, Rick, how much does this cost he asked? :-) Looks like his Specialized FSR full suspension may end up being on "Craigslist".

Anyway, a great day and I'm loving getting back into mountain biking and will consider making the Evolve my ride. Well, after I ride the 5-1/4" travel Epiphany!

Oh, I did (finally) get in an hour of surfing today on the "old/new" board that I have now. Just an hour? Well it seems that the good conditions are more consistent here so just an hour was enough to get me happy to be out in the surf again.

I'm just starting to have fun (work & pleasure) out here but I do miss you guys. Good luck to all at RATL & the Covered Bridge Races!

Ciao,
Rick

1 comment:

MikeV said...

Wow, looks really nice out there! Sounds like some amazing terrain to ride on. Take care, Rick!