Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Riding the Ellsworth Scant


The Scant is the road bike that Ellsworth makes here in the US and I wanted to take one out to see how it felt & climbed. Tony was nice enough to loan me his and I took it out for some quick climbing and compared it to my Cervelo R3 this morning.

The Scant was a small (53cm effective length top tube) and had different geometery than the Cervelo. The Scant felt lower; Tony said that he had designed it per Pros feedback that they wanted a lower bike with a roomy cockpit. It felt great and decended fantastic. The wheels shown are the carbon clinchers.

I'll see if I can take it out on a longer ride for more feedback on it, but I was very pleased by the looks and ride of it. Don't be surprised if you see me racing on it this season.

Ciao,
Rick

6 comments:

MattO said...

what's the deal with those wheels sir?

Rick said...

They are pretty sweet and there is a "deal" on them right now....

MattO said...

Oh really? Any chance they're looking for someone to send lots of wheels to to give them feedback? If you know what I mean.

Rick said...

great pricing, but no freebies....

Mike said...

My Ellsworth separated where the carbon is joined to the Aluminium 2.5 years after i bought it. Ellsworth didn't warranty it or anything.

So watch out for the craftsman ship on these things.

Rick said...

Mike,
The Carbon rear was making some noise for me also after 3-4 years. You should be able to get the carbon & frame "re-epoxied" at The Frame Doctor in Orlando, FL or anyone that does carbon repair work.
That's the problem with buying a frame that get's orphaned.....I used to own a Titus Modina also and was worried that would happen.
The frame separating is a problem for any of the carbon/aluminum frames out there. Thanks for the comment.