Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Westlake Worlds B Group - The Break

Forgive me father for I have sinned....while not as "bad" as donny....

After not getting much in workout wise other than 12oz curls for the last two weeks, I figured that I was going to be hurting or needed to hurt myself to snap out of the haze.

Arriving in the fuel efficient and carefully driven (read SLOW) car of Gary "the bulldog" (yes I'm kidding Gary, I know how important it is to conserve fuel) and Sadie many of the SBR clan were there.

B Group; Ian H, JimmyNick, JV, David K, Matt O, Michael "Cocaine Kitty" L, Jason R & I in a 25 person field. For reasons unknown, I took off on the second lap around the baseball diamond, got a gap & saw the team move up, so I figured "here starts the workout" and continued off the front for the first cash prime and kept right on going til the HR alarm was maxed out....which lasted exactly one full lap to the diamond. No pictures to prove it though & I thought that would be my moment in the sun. SBR kept firing riders off the front and when I saw Jason go with six laps left, get a gap and nobody go after him; I jumped hard from mid pack and caught up to him in a full sprint. Once I got up to him I said get on my wheel and let's see what we can do. My long rest break for him lasted like just 45 seconds and I begged him to come around and then we started to work together. Rick Bennett then joined along with a guy with a De Paul University kit. I'm thinking that if the SBR gang is blocking at all, the four of us have a great chance at making this break work. Well, there was a prime and when we came around the start finish the guy with the Du Paul kit goes tearing off the front to get the prime and then falls off the group after getting the prime....we're thinking wtf??? Crap 5 to go with just three of us. We are still working well together and after we see the 4 left to go card, I look back and see there are two separate groups of chasers behind us...Jason asks if we should sit up and have them help us and RB & I saw no way, let's go! With two to go...I'm hurting but we are out of sight now with the group so we can "relax" just a little. I'm thinking that Jason needs to get this win and I just want to get in without getting caught by the group. At the bell lap we keep going but at the bb diamond we can see a "group" behind us closing and RB thinks it could be the As and I reply that I don't care about placement let's just get in before whoever is behind us. We slowed down...yes the games started after the cop corner I by the time we were at the final turn I knew it was B group and we had to quit screwing around so I picked up the pace with RB behind me and Jason next to him. At the 150 mark RB says let's go and we all take off. It's close and out of the corner of my eye I see Jason in front and RB next to me...my calves are screaming and I let up a bit...RB gets me by a wheel and Jason gets the win.

It would have been nice to have done a better job at the finish, but I'll be damned if I was going to screw around much and then get caught by the group within 200 meters of the finish after working so hard. Huge thanks to the SBR gang for blocking and working together for a 1 & 3 win ($15 bucks to everyone on the SBR Bs) and for Jason working his butt off on getting the break started.

I'm pumped.

Thanks to Sadie & Eric for taking photos....I'll put them on my FLICKR soon. I think you can figure out the ones sadie took....lots of butt shots! :-)

The SBR As did a great job & consisted of Dr. John, Gary "The Bulldog" and Tom "Killer" K.

Ciao,
Rick

No comments: