Monday, November 3, 2008

Kirkland Park Cyclocross Race

Photo by Robert Sroka

I had my son with me this weekend and everybody that knows Aaron knows he's not into racing much. :-)

Having helped out Saturday at the Chagrin Falls race, I wanted to give it a go at one of my favorite courses - Kirkland Park...it has everything and a great flow. The time change screwed me up and I arrived early, too early according to my son.
The good thing was I ran into Bill (Mr. Embrocation) for some of his home made hot stuff. My back was still sore from the Spin 'cross race and from moving crap out of my house and Peninsula during the week. The heat really helps and I put different heat on my legs. Heck, Bill even scored me a GU and a cliff bar. Your the best Bill and it's a bummer about your pedal issue during the race.

My training has fallen off so bad it's ridiculous. The last time I was on my bike was the Louisville UCI races last weekend - I'd better change that or I'll never make it to the end of the season.

Anyway, I'm riding A Masters (due to finishing 2nd in the B Masters last year)...I know I'm going to get shelled and lapped by the lead As; I don't race 'cross just to win, I do it (A Masters) 'cause you can learn more by racing with these guys. So at the start I'm looking to get good position and ride hard. The start goes and going into the first corner (photo by Julie)
I see I'm right behind Dr. John and decide to see if I can stay on his wheel for a couple of laps....John's got skills and great conditioning. So John pulls me around for 2-3 laps and I'm feeling pretty good when we enter the hard turn(s) area and he goes down in front of me; I get around him and go hard forward. (one thing I had learned by now was to give some room to the rider in front in the techy sections so I wouldn't get so bogged down and gapped bad if the rider in front had a mishap). So I'm in front of John and Derek thinking to myself that there is NO WAY this is happening and I'm trying to keep the gas on and maintain the gap. OK that's one lap in front of them....two....shit, Derek is reeling me in and it's only a matter of time....the guy's a horse. He gets around me and I try to stay on his wheel for as long as possible cause I know John was right behind him. I'm riding a real good race, my legs are fine and no mechanicals or wipes outs so I think I can finish pretty good and at least give John a run for his money. I have a third lap I think and John catches me after I take a hard fall on the twisty section and It's time to claw on to his wheel. I get too tight on John's wheel on the off chamber, he dabs it and I completely stall out and he gets a gap on me (great, so much for keeping some distance). The rest of the race I try to close the gap down...get it close and John opens it up again. I fall apart on one lap where my back has stiffened up so bad I am hoping to just finish the race without getting caught. About then the lead three riders come by with Earnie in the lead and I finally get moving again. John keeps the gap opened up and I keep anyone from moving up on the placings against me. I bring it across the line in 7th place Masters. That 7th place felt as good as getting on the podium.

Thanks for putting on another great venue, Lake Effect!

Rick

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job yesterday Rick, nice racing!

Donny Frey said...

There's one word for why you were able to draft EPO for 3 laps...

"Skinsuit"

Love ya Bro.