Monday, September 29, 2008

BA Series - Whiskey Island

Gary charging......

Dan in the twisty section.....

Just a quick post....The folks at Lake Effect/BA did a great job laying out this course. Just the right mix of everything. It seems like there was a lot of flats happening though; I got lucky and didn't have that problem. I needed all the help I could get racing in the A Masters Race.
I did get some shots of the B race and others warming up posted on my FLICKR. I regret that I couldn't shoot more but I needed to pre-ride the course and get warmed up myself. After I tried bunny hopping over the rails and endo'd big time I decided that I was going to run them during the race. Nice.
Dan B, Gary B, Sadie D, Linda M did the B race and Samantha M did the Cs. David S was doing the A open and Dr John & I were in the A Masters. Yeah, I was afraid, very afraid of what the hour long race was going to do to me. I'm not sure my fitness level was going to keep me anywhere close to where I wanted to be. Long story short, I felt pretty good (nobody could tell by the look of pain on my face the whole time) and was on the Dr's wheel for a lap plus along with a Spin rider....then a slower Summit rider got b/t the Dr & I, John opened up a gap on me and I couldn't close it. I then was mixing it up with two RGF guys who are uber fast on the road, but thank goodness don't have the off road skills yet....watch out when they do! Anyway went back-n-forth with them, got a gap on them and I think at least one flatted out. It was just me getting chased by Tom H. from Spin the rest of the time and he pushed me like crazy the rest of the race while I in vain tried to reel in Brad B from Spin. I ended up in 7th; results are here.
A painful but great time followed by food and drinks at the eatery next to the Park.

A big thanks goes out to Mike V. at the BA for a great job on gluing my Vittoria tubulars which worked well at 45 lbs that day. Rougher than I liked, but no flats. (yeah, I was lucky)

Gotta go work....
Rick

No comments: