Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tampa Training Crit

I've been doing the Tampa Training Crits almost every Weds night here. They are well run, fun and it has (finally) gotten me back into crit/road racing.

The series started out with the A & B field combined...which was tough. I got sick and missed a couple of weeks and when I started again they had split the A & B groups up and 'cause I'm a CAT4, I was going to be doing the B group race. It's only (roughly) a mile course with 3 sharp but not too tough turns and we race for 30 minutes plus 3 laps. I was able to get back into the grove of it and get two 3rd place finishes and two Saturdays ago get a second in the first race (10 laps) and a first in the second race (5 laps) that was done right after the first. So I got invited up to the As. Last week when I raced As....it was fast and I felt really good to the point of joining a 2 man break and we stayed away for 3-5 laps. I was able to not blow up and stayed on with the group to finish the 1 hour long race. I was stoked.
Last night at the A race I felt like crap all day and during warm ups knew this wasn't going to be good but pushed on ahead anyway.
Mistake.
I felt terrible; in the legs and in the mind. I couldn't mentally push trough and fell off the back, got on the next lap and even though I was cramping a bit didn't toughen up and for the first time in a long time...DNF. I'm not happy.

I will be out this Saturday and next Weds to see about not having that happening again.

Ciao,
Rick

No comments: