Thursday, December 18, 2008

Putting on the Winter Fat

Thanks for this Donny! What does the above got to do with this post....huh, nothing, but I wished I had it earlier!

Actually I am at race weight right now, just a touch under 153 pounds but the title is more how I feel than actual condition. I have done NOTHING since the last 'cross race of this season.

This is going to be the least relevant posting about biking that I've done.

I'm sitting here wondering why my mood is so crappy & D'oh:
- I'm not a big fan of cold, cloudy, rainy/snowy weather
- ex gf got married (11/28) w/in 4-6 weeks of moving to Seattle last month after a 5 yr on/off relationship with me
- my company laid me off after 5 years of never finishing lower than 3rd OA in sales out of 7 on Dec 4th.
- it's the Holidays

Now, after all of that bad Karma crap, I'm thankful for:
- ski season is here (both xc & snowboarding) and I'd like to make the most of it .
- my ex gf moving out of my house and Ohio and getting out of my life (finally).
- I'm not getting into another relationship too fast (not easy for me).
- getting laid off is forcing me to go after a job in an industry where I can be more passionate about work.
- it's the Holidays and I'll be spending them with family & my son this year and it doesn't get any better than that.
- My Dad won his election - nice, moral, good guys do finish first in politics! And that doesn't have anything to do with what party your associated with.
- I'm going to start spin classes and trail running; I'm surprised my head hadn't exploded from not having exercised in what is approaching 2 weeks!
- I'll be stepping down as an officer of SnakeBite Racing (two years of hard but satisfying work) and will be supporting the new "guys". Next year I'll be "just riding/racing my bike(s).
- The Velodrome project is really taking off and Brett has taken it to an even higher level. I've got big expectations for this and this is one reason I'm not going to be an officer on any other board in 2009.

As you can see, not fun but the positives waaaay outweigh the negatives and I'm treating this process as a fresh start where I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.

Thanks to Gary, Donny, Billy B and remotely, Steve, Jeff and Alex for being there as fantastic friends during this challenging, but exciting time for me (oh & my UBER cool parents too).

I'm going to make up a couple favorite pictures of 2008 posts (one biking and one non-biking) b/f the first of the year.

Thanks to all for making this 2008 biking season such a great one.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
Rick

8 comments:

MattO said...

Happy Christmas broski!

MikeV said...

Hang in there Rick. Have a great holiday! See you on the road!

Donny Frey said...

King of Pain - Have a great holiday season my friend. And here's to a fresh start in 2009.

Ray Huang said...

Thats rough, but I sense some relief too. So heres a toast to everything looking up!!

Rick said...

Thanks guys!

Unknown said...

Hang dude!, you'll be stronger after this is all over with and passed, believe me!
Merry Christmas and have a couple ale's for me.

See you soon.

Tony said...

Yo Rick! Have a Merry Christmas and hope we all do some riding too here pretty soon.

Itty Bitty Betty said...

Rick,

I think 2009 will be a great year for you. You have the right attitude about the job (find one you are passionate about) and, as much as I liked Anna personally, I think you two were terrible together. You are both better off, although I understand that there's some pain associated with way the relationship ended. You are right to take some time before you jump into another relationship. It's good for the soul to get to know and love yourself just for YOU!