Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Gotta Love/Hate Garmin!


I have been using a Garmin Edge 305 w/cadence & heart rate for roughly a year now. I used to have a Polar 720i before that (Gary has it now) and I really liked the Polar; the software is great, easy to use and it just worked really well. I switched to the Garmin due to one of my business clients raving about how good it was so I bought one. I have had to return two of the Garmin units due to them not working right/working at all. Having said that; customer service for Garmin kicks ass! They have sent out replacement units very fast and have been pleasent to work with.

The unit itself has a lot of very nice features that the Polar doesn't have; mapping ability, a navigation feature to help you get back to the start of the ride - it's not as dumb as it sounds. I travel a lot with my Ti Ritchey BreakAway to places I haven't ridden before and that feature has come in handy when it would get dark or I got lost. It only has one remote sensor on it for speed/cadence vs two for the Polar and the training center feature is pretty cool. The reporting software is way behind Polar's though, but I'm hoping that they update/come out with new better software soon.

In hindsight, I should have purchased the Forerunner 305 with the speed/cadence due to I am finally starting to run again for the first time in 4 years (see knee surgery below), except for that the unit looks like something from StarTrek.....but that just shows that nothing is perfect; maybe a power meter for the unit would?

Anyway, I can start the New Year training with a fresh Garmin now.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Blackbird said...

Thanks for the Garmin info. You mention your Ti/CF Breakaway. I travel a lot and am thinking about this bike. Can you give us a review?