Saturday, February 4, 2012

Back into Motorcycling - Honda FT500


I've been itching to get a motorcycle that I could commute to work on every since I sold my Honda Element. I've been watching eBay and Craigslist for an older Thumper (single cylinder) or twin to make a cafe racer type of bike with (on a TIGHT budget).

I happened to see a, 1982 Honda FT500 for sale on the east coast of FL pretty inexpensive with low miles and a single owner so I put money down on it to take it off the market and drove there that weekend.
It has minor issues but was really clean and fun to drive so I bought it. Her name is Thumper, btw...these photos show how it looks now to what I started with.

I ended up having to tear apart the front end when the forks started leaking badly and by doing so I saved $100.00 on the fork rebuild.

I ended up putting brag bars on it and lowering the spedo & tach along with replacing the small square headlight with a larger round one....it was much lower than the square one also.



I ended up putting some clubman bars and bar end mirrors on it and really liked how it came out.


It's been a blast to drive...it gets almost 60 mpg and it's saving wear n tear on the 200K+ minivan.

Ciao,
Rick

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where did you get the headlight? I love the look