Friday, August 12, 2011

No More Bunny-Hopping Early in the morning



I normally do a Tuesday & Thursday EARLY (5:00AM) morning group training ride.

As anybody that knows me well knows I'm not a "morning person". I have worked hard at being able to wake up @ 4:15AM for these rides due to it's the only way I can get in 34 miles each of those mornings b/f I have to go to work.

The rides go like clockwork normally with warm up/attacks/regroup and then turn a round and head back hard.....

This one was much like any other one...'cept once we did the Sand Key bridge and heading behind the hotel row....they were bunching up/slowing down at usually one of the fastest places. I drifted into the center turning lane to see what was up and was looking over at the peloton when I looked in front of me (it's dark and early, right) and saw what looked like a curb. Instead of jamming on my brakes I thought (this happened real fast) I'd just bunny hop the "curb"; I did just that but when in mid-air noticed that there was a second curb behind it that I also needed to clear! "SHIT" I yelled and tried to continue to pull up on the bike to clear both.

My front cleared both but the back hit the second pretty (REAL HARD & A LOUD NOISE)hard and blew out the tire and trashed the rim. Sand Key Group Ride* by rickadams60 at Garmin Connect - Details">Here's the Garmen data on the ride.

Trent was nice enough to get his van, pick me up and drop me off at my house.

After looking at it in close to daylight....I don't think I could have escaped that well if I tried to.

I need to have my coffee before these rides and be more alert!

Rick

No comments: